RIVER SYSTEMS IN THE WORLD CONTAINING THE MOST COUNTRIES
WITHIN THEIR WATERSHEDS
The longest and largest rivers in the world don't necessarily drain
the largest number of countries. The river in the world with the
most water--the Amazon--only gets water from parts of 7 countries,
and the "Mighty Mississippi" only drains parts of 2 countries.
However, rivers that drain smaller countries, like the Danube or
the Zambezi, rank higher, despite the smaller drainage areas of the
Countries listed below include all drainage areas, including desert
areas where the land technically drains towards the river but yet
water will only flow during very rare rain events (these countries
are starred). In a few cases where national borders are aligned
with divides between river basins, such as the Central African
Republic-Sudan border (the C.A.R. side drains towards the Congo;
the Sudan side drains towards the Nile), there are probably very
small spots where the border does not perfectly align (and a tiny
piece of Sudan might drain towards the Congo); these are not
1. Danube (19)--Albania, Austria, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Ukraine
2. Niger (11)--Algeria, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Cote D'Ivoire, Guinea, Mali, Mauritania*, Niger, Nigeria
3. Nile (10)--Burundi, Congo (Dem. Rep.), Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda
4. Congo (9)--Angola, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Congo (Dem. Rep.), Congo (Rep.), Rwanda, Tanzania, Zambia
5. Rhine (8)--Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland
5. Zambezi (8)--Angola, Botswana, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe
7. Amazon (7)--Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Venezuela
7. Tigris/Euphrates (7)--Iran, Iraq, Jordan*, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia*, Syria, Turkey
9. Brahmaputra/Ganges (6)--Bangladesh, Bhutan, Burma, China, India, Nepal
9. Mekong (6)--Burma, Cambodia, China, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam
9. Volta (6)--Benin, Burkina Faso, Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Mali, Togo
* Entire "drainage" area is desert where water will only drain during
rare and extreme rain events.
Return to the bonus lists, to the chapters of the book or choose from...
Any questions about the website or specifically for Brandt? Please send them here.
Copyright ©2006 Brandt Maxwell.