ANSWERS: COUNTRIES WHOSE NAMES ARE EASILY MISPRONOUNCED
Here are the answers...
1. Antigua and Barbuda: An-TEE-guh and Bar-BOO-duh (the u in Antigua is not pronounced)
2. Benin: Beh-NEEN (the second syllable is pronounced)
3. Cape Verde: Cape Vurd (the last e in Verde is silent)
4. Comoros: COMM-uh-rose (the last syllable is pronounced with the z sound, like the flower rose)
5. Cote D'Ivoire: Coat-dee-VWAR (typical French)
6. Dominica: Doh-min-EE-ka (the 3rd syllable is accented)
7. Guyana: Guy-ANN-uh (the first syllable is "guy", not "ghee", unless you're referring to French Guiana)
8. Kiribati: KIRR-uh-bass (that's right, pronounce the "ti" as an s)
9. Kyrgyzstan: KIRR-ghee-STAWN (the middle g is a hard g)
10. Lesotho: Le-SOO-too (or alternatively, Le-SOH-toh, but never Le-SOH-thoh)
11. Nauru: Nah-OO-roo (it's a 3-syllable word, with the 2nd syllable emphasized)
12. Niger: Can be either NIGH-jer or Nee-ZHAR (never with a hard g)
13. Qatar: Can be either KOT-ter or KHUT-ter
14. Rwanda: Roo-AHN-duh (it's a 3 syllable word; the w acts as a vowel)
15. Saint Lucia: Lucia can be either LOO-shuh or Loo-SEE-uh
16. Seychelles: Say-SHELLS (the last syllable is accented; sometimes the last s is dropped)
17. Trinidad and Tobago: Tobago is Tuh-BAY-goh (always with a long a)
Return to the bonus lists, to the chapters of the book or choose from...
Any questions about the website or specifically for Brandt? Please send them here.
Copyright ©2004 Brandt Maxwell.